Thursday 27 January 2011

A Converation with Craft Artist CJ Exley – Curious Cat Creative...

(Image above by CJ Exley – Curious Cat Creative)

How long have you been working as an artist?
I have always been creative in one form or another.  In my younger years this took the form of creative writing, drawing and water colours, although none of these have ever been in the public domain.
In 2009 I began looking for a new medium and stumbled across leather almost by accident.  In January 2010 Curious Cat Creative was set up and I run it as a part time business.
Do you work with textiles?
I work with leather.
How would you describe your work?
Different, good quality and constantly evolving.
Every item I make has been designed by me.  I hand cut all my pieces, tool them, dye and finish.  I don’t use any decorative stamps or pre cut shapes, it’s just not what I’m about.
What is your inspiration?
My main inspiration comes from wanting people to appreciate what I do.   Nothing gives me more pride than to hear someone say ‘wow’ about something I’ve designed and made.  I do take inspiration from nature, flowers for example, but I also like to just start with no real plan and see what comes out.
Some of my necklaces have hand painted designs.  None of these designs are really planned unless it’s a variation on something I’ve done before, generally it takes shape as I start to apply colour and it stops when it think it’s ‘right’
What materials do you use when producing your work?
I use tooling leather, which can be carved, moulded and dyed.  I then use leather dyes and finishes. Silver plate and Sterling Silver is also used for jewellery depending on the piece.
Do you use any recycled or renewable materials in your work?
I use vegetable tanned tooling leather which is a by product of the meat industry.
What are your thoughts on ethical textile production?
It’s a hard one.  As someone who hand makes items I am only too aware that not everyone will pay the extra to buy one of my products rather than a mass produced item available at a fraction of the cost on the high street. 
I suppose it’s about education.  If we don’t really understand the impact of something on the environment or the people making it then can we make an informed choice? 
(Image above by CJ Exley – Curious Cat Creative)

No comments:

Post a Comment