Thursday 27 January 2011

A conversation with Textile Craft Artist Jane Dennerly...

(Image above: clutch bag made using recycled vintage silk and button Jane Dennerly)
How long have you been working as an artist? 
I have been working as an artist since I graduated in June 2008. I am currently involved in facilitating textile workshops on a freelance basis and selling my work through galleries, shops and fairs. I have worked with both primary and secondary school children on various projects, using embroidery and fabric manipulation techniques. Such projects have included re vamping clothing, designing and making fashion accessories and creating themed wall hangings and banners.  My work with adults has included facilitating a series of workshops, in a community mental health setting.
Do you work with textiles?
Yes I work with textiles. My degree was BA HONS Textile/Surface Design.
How would you describe your work?
My work involves designing and making fashion accessories and soft home furnishings such as cushions.  I am currently working on a series of vintage inspired bags, collars and corsages using 1940’s silk, Harris Tweed and vintage buttons. Although I am aware of current trends in fashion, my style is unique and my designs are ‘one off’s.
What is your inspiration?
During my degree I studied the history of bags and created ‘pockets’, based on my family tree  and created a range of bags that were inspired by eastern European culture. I have a particular interest in vintage and antique textiles and enjoy going to exhibitions and fairs. I recently visited Bath’s Fashion Museum, where I participated in a study session on historical dress. The detail in 17th and 18th century clothing particularly on collars, cuffs and hems such as embroidery and fabric manipulation, has inspired me to adapt these techniques for use in my own work. 
Another trip last year to Harris and Lewis in the Western Isles gave me the inspiration to work with Harris Tweed.
What materials do you use when producing your work?
I love to work using natural fibres, such as wool, silk, linen and cotton.
Do you use any recycled or renewable materials in your work? 
Some aspects of my work incorporates recycled fabrics, I like to use ‘old’ woollen blankets, dye them and re use them to make bags and cushions.  I like to re use old clasps, buckles and buttons. I have re vamped ‘old’ tray cloths and embroidered into them to give a contemporary feel. Some of the materials I use are given to me, or either bought from charity shops or antique markets. I also like to swap materials with other makers.
What are your thoughts on ethical textile production?
 I believe that there is a terrible wastage of fabric and textiles in the world. Partly due to cheap fashion and a throw away culture, the fashion industry has a lot to do with this, with producing constant new collections.  The high street subsequently keeps up and new colours, patterns, styles appear in high street shops. I think as money becomes tight, I hope people will think more about giving to charity shops or re vamping old clothes rather than throwing them away.
Also I believe dyeing methods have an impact on the planet and I like to see natural dyes used in products where possible.
(Image above: bag made from Harris Tweed bought in Harris and Lewis by Jane Dennerly.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment