Wednesday 26 January 2011

Hello and Welcome to the Craftworks Textile Blog

My name is Alia, I am a textile artist and illustrator. I have been working as a craft artist since 2006 when I opened my studio at the Manchester Craft and Design Centre. Since then, I have developed my own crafts company www.threadsandjewels.com

I have a passion for textiles which stems from a childhood of being surrounded by beautiful textures and patterns. My grandfather, Shiekh Munawer Hussain migrated to England in the early 1950's and subsequently settled down and built a life in Manchester. He opened his first textile factory in Ancoats in the 1970's. He manufactured socks and tights to begin with and this then developed to knitwear. My Mum told me tales of how as a child she would help my Grandmother check the quality of the socks were up to standard and pack them away in packets and boxes ready to be sold. At the age of 19 my mother moved on to help at my Grandfather's knitwear factory, overlocking, pressing and buttoning.

My mother grew up around textiles and she learnt many skills which my Grandmother taught her including general sewing of clothes, crotchet, knitting and embroidery (mostly cross stitch). As a result of this my mother passed these skills down to me and I also learnt how to sew, knit and embroider. My Grandfather closed the factories in the 1980's and started developing buisnesses in other avenues. This was due to the fact that the textile industry in Manchester was declining and thier was no longer a need for local factories as cheaper labour was available overseas. I have since developed a huge interest in Manchester's textile industry and local craft makers.

My contribution to the Craftwork project aims to examine local people in the community and Craft artists experiences of textiles and thier views on migration, ethical production and sustainability.

I hope you will follow me capturing all of lovely stories people have to share!


(Image above: My mother Robina Akhter crotcheting)

(An image of the crotchet piece up close - it is growing to grow into a beautiful bag!)

(Image above: my lovely Grandmother Tayyba Khanim Hussain who passed down all of her fantastic skills to her daughters and her grandaughters)

No comments:

Post a Comment